Re: [Ayatana] unity and notifications

In high
resolutions, an excellent candidate is the (currently wasted)
space in the middle of the top panel. For low resolutions the
problem is a little bit more hairy, methinks...

That is just what I was thinking. How about an android-esque model, where the entire panel contents fade out, the notification appears, and then the panel fades back to its normal state. If, while the notification is showing, the user moves the cursor to the panel, the notification fades out automatically, showing the normal panel contents. This would work similarly to the current NotifyOSD system. There could be a button on the panel that would make the panel slide down, showing recent notifications, with their related actions.

In order to indicate where the notification can be acted upon, the text could be right-aligned.

Another idea would be to only have messages fade in place of the right half of the panel, thus leaving the unrelated Applications Places System menu unchanged.

Sorry for the somewhat incohesive email - I'm just writing as I think.