Re: [Ayatana] unity and notifications

I like this idea, fwiw.

Another point: currently, if when the bubble appears the pointer is already in its vicinity, i.e. the area where fading would occur, the bubble won't fade at all until the user moves away and back.

This is in the spec, but seems contrary to the whole point of bubbles fading on hover.

I suggest that instead, all asynchronous notifications should be queued until the pointer moves away (similar to a suggestion above).

As an exception, high priority (urgent) notices could be shown anyway after x (~30) seconds even if the pointer's still there.

As a bonus (though not a goal), this design would enable users who really care to deliberately queue notices while they're away.

--
Greg K Nicholson

On 17 Sep 2010 09:12, "Diego Moya" <turingt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 17 September 2010 09:03, Conscious User wrote:

> To be more clear, I think this goal is *alread...

Maybe the heuristic can be refined to not block notifications while typing unless in that case. But then you get the second problem also while writing...

> b) The user wants to just read something covered by the bubble. This
> is more difficult for you...

I actually support having a quick way to close a notification. I don't think it's the traditional 'X' icon, though, but something more radical: hide the notification if the mouse hovers it, and *don't show it again even if the mouse moves away*. The notification should act as a real bubble, disappearing on touch.

As I said, the user moving the mouse over the notifiacion region means that the content was more important at that moment than the notice, so there's no problem in closing it. The information in it should be already in the panels anyway; the user has already taken notice that there existed a bubble, and can go to the appropriate menu to read it.

Combined with my heuristic, there's no problem that an involuntary mouse movement would close the bubble before the user notices it.