Re: [Ayatana] unity and notifications

Le vendredi 17 septembre 2010 à 16:24 -0500, Apoorva Sharma a écrit :
> I went ahead and made a mockup of my "notification in the panel" idea,
> borrowing heavily from what android does. I've attached an animated
> gif showing a basic notification popping up.
>
> I want to make it clear that the entire panel does not fade out, but
> simply the indicator-menus and notification applet, and like
> notify-osd, fades out if the user brings the pointer over it, trying
> This keeps all windows visible, and all panel icons visible.
>
> Another failure of the mockup is that the message indicator should
> light up after the notification.
>
> What do you think?

You know what I absolutely *love* about this mockup? It fits
remarkably well with the fact that all indicators are menus.

Let's suppose that the user was in process of interacting
with one of the indicators. Then a notification appears.
He does not interrupt the action, thus fading the notification
when the cursor goes over it.

Here's the catch: the cursor will not stay there for more
than a split second! Because indicators are menus, whatever
the user wanted to do will involve him moving the mouse
downwards, to the adequate menu item, right after clicking!
Then the notification will be free to fade in again.

(ok, this is not exactly true for all cases... the indicator
might be clicked just for the user to read info on some of
the itens, but this sounds much less frequent)

The only thing I think this mockup does not cover is the
case of merging notifications, which I think is a very nice
feature of OSD.