Re: [Ayatana] persistent awareness

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 18:06, Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 03:00, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1.  I want to leave home/work/wherever, and log out / shut down / take
   my USB key with me. Has the download/copy/whatever finished yet?
   That doesn't require "persistent awareness"; it requires the OS to
   tell me, when I try to log out / shut down / disconnect the USB key,
   "whoa, you shouldn't do that yet, I'm still working".

This assumption breaks down badly when the first step of the process is "Close my laptop lid, triggering standby, and thus hiding any visual feedback it could give". You could have some kind of a loud warning noise in this case I suppose...

i think matthew was especially right about how hiding it upon "idle" or displaying it as an animation in its resting state doesn't make a difference to the mind..
Perhaps i'm exaggerating a little with the implementation as an indicator, but somehow i'm confident it is not wrong to dream some more over this..