From: Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, October 28, 2010 5:54:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] On Vincent Moulin's idea of partial global menu in unity

On Oct 27, 2010, at 01:53 PM, Daniel Silva wrote:

>when working with multiple, unmaximized windows, something I always feel when
>using Mac OS X (specially when I want to open a menu item of a non-focused
>window: in these cases I have to click the titlebar of the app, *then* access
>the global menu.

I'm using the global menu on the normal desktop in Maverick.  One thing that
would help a lot is to include the application name to the left of the
application menu (e.g. left of "File").  I think the old globalmenu package
did this, and OS X does this, but afaict, indicator-applet-appmenu doesn't.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-appmenu/+bug/658592

The second thing is that some windows only sensibly maximize vertically
(e.g. 80 character wide terminals or Emacs windows), and there a global menu
rocks because it wastes less vertical real-estate.

Third, it would be helpful if application focus switching via Alt-Tab were
application-centric not window-centric.  What I mean by that is that if I have
two Emacs windows open, or two mail windows open, Alt-Tab should cycle among
applications and not individual windows.  Choosing the application would bring
all of its windows forward, with the stacking order remembered from the
previous time the application was focused.  Then Alt-` toggles between the
application windows.

I'm sure there will be lots of opinion and debate about stuff like this, but I
actually think that OS X gets it just about right, at least for a "normal"
desktop where real-estate is less constrained.

-Barry