Re: [Ayatana] Global Menu behaviour

Well, with the solution presented earlier, there would not be that problem, because *all* apps which were not maximized would have their menu below the titlebar, and if you think about it, so would the maximized windows, only it's not just below the titlebar, it's on it. The eye will look for the menu near the titlebar of the window, and these cases, the menu would always be there (either just below, or in the titlebar). In this way everything is consistent (in fact more than with a global menu all the time).Also another good idea discussed in another thread would be to "darken" a bit the global menu if an unmaximized window gets focus which would show that the global menu was out of focus and belonged to the maximized window behind.

Daniel

From: Jake Tolbert <crazybilly@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Ayatana List <ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, October 28, 2010 7:56:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Global Menu behaviour

I've been using a global menu in Gnome (via gnome2-globalmenu) for a couple years now. Because it doesn't work with a few applications (Firefox and OpenOffice), I have a bit of experience with trying to use the menu in two different places.

Simply put: it's confusing, mostly from a muscle-memory point of view. When using the global menu, you ALWAYS expect the menu to be in the same place. When it's not, it takes a little while to remember where it should be.

That said, I'm only one person, and I use the global menu on a small (14") laptop screen, so my experience shouldn't be taken as universally representative.

Jake

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Oct 27, 2010, at 05:23 PM, Oscar RdG wrote:

>I am using the global menu indicator on maverick desktop for a week now, and
>I love it. I have found out that I do not use very often the app menu so I
>like it on the panel, far from the window app, even with the small
>applications (eg. Empathy, Gwibber).

With working keybindings, I would totally agree! :)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-appmenu/+bug/663030

-Barry