Re: [Ayatana] How to handle multi-window launcher icons

Christian, thanks for your reply:

Hi David, can you state a precise use case when this would be useful?
All in all, it's a handier way to keep a track of windows, switch windows and perform operations on windows. The user can do all those things now, one way or the other (even the one about opening an additional window, because it can be done from the window's file menu, and the drag-and-drop because you can bring the window to the front in advance); but the process is always longer and more confusing that it would if my proposal were implemented.

Personally I think that showing the windows on mouse over is a bit heavy (on your mock-up the application name is also missing). Being based on over makes it not much touch friendly as well. I wonder if this problem can be sorted differently.

The same problem exists with the current implementation, because how do you check the name for a launcher icon on touch screens? But it could be easily solved by implementing a second way to launching it: by keeping the launcher icon pressed for a moment, without dragging it in any direction.
Consider that a user without a touch screen wouldn't even notice that the second method exists, since the spread would be there as soon as he hovered his cursor over the icon, without having to keep it pressed.

For instance, as it is today, you can easily get to windows expose clicking on the focused application. Why do you think this wouldn't be enough?

Not really, for the reasons above.