Re: [Ayatana] Global Menu on the Desktop

On 1 November 2010 19:47, Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I agree with the idea of less wasted space. So putting in the global
menu into the desktop for maximized apps is a good idea.

Well, ideally the way to get rid of that wasted space would be to not have the bar there at all. Think about it; Unity has a side bar from bottom to top, the indicator applets sit top right *exactly* where there is an open space on any maximized window. So why can't the indicator applet just "float" top-right and there be no panel between the left bar and the indicators? Any maximized window would fill the gap with the title bar. Something like this? http://imgur.com/I30k3.png

If its a huge
screen its a lot easier to throw your mouse up to the top of the screen
than go for the menu bar in the app I think. It might be slightly
further but it requires about the same effort or even less maybe because
you are just throwing your mouse to the top without thinking about where
its actually landing.

That was why Apple did it originally. It's easier to fling the cursor to the top, but there is quite obviously a limit to the size of the screen where the efficiency of that is outweighed by the mouse travel and the detachment of the menu from the window itself, and the required window focusing.

Luke.