Re: [Ayatana] (In)sensitive menu itens for displaying information

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/11/10 10:45:
>> The Sound Menu as i understand it was made to enable also other music
>> players to place themselves inside of it. Totem is the default player
>> for single .mp3 files on every Ubuntu installation i have made so far,
>> ironically it never appears in the Sound Menu.
>
> Apparently usability testing of 10.10 found that people were surprised
> when music files opened in Totem. I haven't seen the exact results, and
> I'm not sure how we'd open standalone music files in Banshee while
> making it clear either (a) that they weren't being added to the library,
> or (b) how to remove them from the library. (IIRC Mac OS X opens music
> files by default in QuickTime Player, not iTunes, presumably for the
> same reason.)

Banshee, if set as the default music player, opens the song in a
special sidebar item called "File System Queue" (as opposed to
Library). Better wording and a simple strip bar (similar to the one
used in Nautilus for Ubuntu One) that offers the option to add the
songs from "File System Queue" to the Library could fix this problem.