Re: [Ayatana] innovative nautilus location bar

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/news-on-default-applications-in-ubuntu.html

Canonical considered it, but rejected it, as it was considered hackish, as you can read there. A week later Marlin was announced on OMGUbuntu, so the timing seemed interesting to me.

But i agree, Marlin seems nice and as soon as it surpasses Nautilus we should consider switching over. :)

2010/11/16 Vishnoo <vish@xxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 10:14 +0100, Arian van Gend wrote:
> But fortunately, Marlin will come along to replace it.
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/11/nautilus-elementary-is-dead-marlin-file-browser/
>
> This could very well be a reaction to fact that Canonical decided
> against using Nautilus Elementary because the code seems hackish to
> them. This will be clean and fresh. :)

Where was that announced? ;-)
Canonical did not decide anything here and had no role in Marlin.

It was just Nautilus upstream which said that[hackisk] for a /few/
patches, which was mostly the n-e toolbar editor.
And we did try to work with Nautilus upstream and iirc some code has
been merged but upstream is busy atm with their own work, further with
their 'new' designs were not very open to suggestions or ideas which had
worked in nautilus-elementary.

The lead programmer who worked on nautilus-elementary had found nautilus
code to be very bloated and had started working on a faster file browser
a while ago. But just dint have time to spend on releasing a new browser
until recently.
At the same time Nautilus upstream had trouble with people filing n-e
bugs in Nautilus bugzilla, and were not happy with the naming of this
fork.
What better timing for Marlin..? ;-)
Maybe for 11.1O cycle we can switch from Nautilus to Marlin, if Marlin
is ready.. ;)

--
Cheers,
Vish