Re: [Ayatana] Deprecation of the "Window" Metaphor

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 18:33 +0100, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

*not too short a text*

With all these words, you don't define any single, concrete problem with
windows as they are. You don't make much of a case for using another
metaphor for the same thing, as there are no obvious candidates that
don't already mean lots of things in varying contexts.

You avoid any talk about their properties and behaviors.

A call for transparency because of the name is silly. If windows
wouldn't be called windows but frobknacks, suddenly transparency
wouldn't be of value?

You also do not define anything to gain.

If you want to discuss things to discuss things, this is a great start.

Now I fully expect a backlash because this mail might be seen as not
nice, getting personal. Well, what is not nice and not OK from my point
of view is seeing a list that should serve some purpose flooded with
lots of talk that is not in any way actionable or on a path to get
there ... with one sender of such mails sticking out of the mass by
frequency and quantity.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: