Re: [Ayatana] The Unity launcher and minimized windows

Hi Conscious,

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 18:39, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Minimize should be deprecated, because it was a workaround for "hide"
> window", which would have been a non-reversible gesture without tools
> like docky or the unity launcher now, or the window list back then.
> Minimize is a synonym for "iconify", now list to me the situations in
> which you want a program main window to be iconified onto a certain
> part of the screen?!

Actually, I've been a supporter of killing minimization for years. My
suggestions in this thread are more for legacy purposes, as I don't
see the removal of such a taken-for-granted feature being seriously
adopted any time soon.

yop, there's a point in offering a transitional solution.
OTOH Unity is so completely different from the classic GNOME Desktop, it wouldn't make much sense imo to transport such concepts for the sake of preserving their legacy, if we can avoid to.
Especially the Compiz Scale feature is revolutionary, in that it stands totally against what iconification does: it scales content proportionally, while minimize abstracts the entire application into a single symbol.
This is definitely not the place to reintroduce what we gracefully managed to leave behind, as far as my opinion counts in any way..