Re: [Ayatana] Deprecation of the "Window" Metaphor

I apologize !

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 20:24, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 18:33 +0100, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

*not too short a text*

With all these words, you don't define any single, concrete problem with
windows as they are. You don't make much of a case for using another
metaphor for the same thing, as there are no obvious candidates that
don't already mean lots of things in varying contexts.

You avoid any talk about their properties and behaviors.

A call for transparency because of the name is silly. If windows
wouldn't be called windows but frobknacks, suddenly transparency
wouldn't be of value?

You also do not define anything to gain.

If you want to discuss things to discuss things, this is a great start.

Now I fully expect a backlash because this mail might be seen as not
nice, getting personal. Well, what is not nice and not OK from my point
of view is seeing a list that should serve some purpose flooded with
lots of talk that is not in any way actionable or on a path to get
there ... with one sender of such mails sticking out of the mass by
frequency and quantity.

My message was extremely vague in nature, i now realize! I didn't succeed in illustrating with words, what appears chrystal clear to me in my mind already..
If anybody cares yet to still show interest in this thread:
the topic is the deprecation of the "window" metaphor, meaning the metaphor is a misleading term inherited from a concept that imo is claiming way too much importance in all of our design discussions at the moment.

We keep talking about windows and how to stack, sort, tile, minimize and maximize them, but somehow it seems that we are forgetting about what really counts:
Content, interaction, function, application, image and sound, last but not least: people.

My hope was by discussing how one could imagine this ancient metaphor being less important, we would quickly discover much more important things to "fix" in the concepts we are discussing all over the community a.t.m.

please feel free to tell me where else i'm out of line or too vague, i don't want to spam this list, which i cherish so much.