Re: [Ayatana] Deprecation of the "Window" Metaphor

Dear Frederik,

it almost seems like you want an inspiring term instead of the boring
"windows", independent of actual problems or solutions. How about
"crystal sphere views unto unicorn-filled landscapes"?

As long as we mainly use flat, 2d screens and usually work with
documents of rather flat content, I'm pretty sure there will always be
regions on screen that may represent content and/or tools to work with
that content. So far "windows" seems be at least as good a term as any
other you didn't come up with, and it happens to be well established.

I only skimmed most of what you wrote. I tend to delete most of your
mails without reading, happen to know that I'm not alone with that and
regret it every time I don't.

In this case, I tried to explain the problem with your approach, in hope
you might find a little more focus. Instead, it's like I wrote in a
foreign language and you returned to your irritating habit to reply to
old mails, writing too long mails that offer nothing I could work with.

I'm aware this is not exactly constructive. But it looks to me like the
whole Ayatana list isn't actually constructive. What has been achieved
so far?

Something in closing, to think about. There are several variations and
it's attributed to varying people, but:
"I would have written a shorter letter but didn't have time."

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/