Re: [Ayatana] Dash should be in full screen by default in desktop

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 13:27, Bilal Akhtar <bilalakhtar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/17/2011 12:54 PM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 05:44, Muhammad Nabil <ottoman.kent@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Dash in full screen looks better. Thanks.
>>

> +1
>
> keeping the dash small would make sense, if another object could be
> displayed beside it on the same level / layer, but that doesn't seem to be
> the case, so it should rather utilize all the space.
> transparancy keeps the stuff below visually accessible, that's good to keep
> a map of the desktop, even when you're in the dash.

I don't think this would be good when the resolution is high (well above
1280x800). It would require unnecessary mouse movements.

i wouldn't worry too much about mouse movement. when the objects are large enough to aim at successfully with a "careless" mouse gesture, mouse travel distance wouldn't be so much of an issue anymore.
On a touch-interface this would be the least of our problems. On a desktop it's not a problem either, since a desktop usually has a proper mouse, which can travel the entire screen quickly.
On a home entertainment system with a large full HD TV as monitor, it would be an advantage to use a lot of display space and have large icons/previews, since one usually sits a few meters away from such a monitor, and small icons would be too little to either aim at or to identify visually in the first place.

so i don't reallly think mouse travel is an issue here..