[Ayatana] Merging libindicate into libnotify

Hi,

In Natty, the Ubuntu One item was moved from the Me Menu from
the Messaging Menu. Was this agreed on by the design team?

If it was, I think this is a good opportunity to wonder if
there is still a point in trying to tie the Messaging Menu
to messaging applications only.

Currently, the messaging menu is the desktop resource that
covers that case where notifications require response but
not necessarily immediate. The no-response case is covered
by the bubbles and the immediate response case is covered
by unfocused dialog boxes, or whatever will replace them
(the never implemented "morphing boxes" in the specification
or the IDO thingies that Empathy is using now) in the future.

The existence of libindicate is something that has always
bothered me. The not-necessarily-immediate-response case
is a common scenario required by a significative number of
applications, and requiring those applications to support
an extra library (and thus extra patching for working in
Ubuntu) is unpleasant.

Shouldn't this case be covered by the Notification Spec and
each desktop offer a standard single mechanism for handling
them, independently of the app? Shouldn't the Messaging Menu
drop the "messaging app" requirement and become the standard
Ubuntu mechanism for handling these kind of notifications?

For the sake of consistency and for the sake of not driving
upstream crazy, I do believe that this case should be
well-specified in libnotify, and the manipulation of something
like the messaging menu, should be part of NotifyOSD.