Re: [Ayatana] Two key issues to fix in Unity

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
<joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28. mai 2011 04:35, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
>> <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry about the pun, but there are a few keyboard issues that I think
>>> requires
>>> some attention.
>>>
>>> 1. If you press super+w (what is that view called?) and then press
>>> alt+f2,
>>> then you can work with the window without bringing it into the
>>> foreground.
>>> For instance, I pressed alt+f2, typed a few words and pressed enter.
>>> Those
>>> words were sent to an IRC channel because Xchat had focus. What on earth
>>> is the purpose of that?
>>
>> Sounds like a bug where the application launching lens can receive
>> focus while the workspace switcher is open. File a bug on launchpad
>> with instructions to reproduce.
>
> Then you can confirm that it is not an intentional feature
> that I just don't understand?

Yes, mis-matched focus is definitely not a feature ;-)

>>> 2. When you press and hold super, then the launcher appears almost
>>> immediately. If you hold it another second, then the icons get numbers on
>>> them to show what number key to press in order to launch an application
>>> or switch to it. My question is: why is there a waiting period before
>>> those
>>> numbers are displayed? The one second without those numbers doesn't
>>> seem to serve any purpose? There is a reason why I think this is
>>> important
>>> but I'll save that for another post.
>>
>> If you press<super>  + num, it launches the application or brings its
>> windows
>> to focus  for the number that appears over that launcher icon.
>>

> Yes, but if you only press super, then the launcher is shown until
> you either release it or press something else in combination. The
> question is why the launcher and the switch numbers aren't displayed
> simultaneous.
>
> Why do you have to wait a second after the launcher is displayed
> before the numbers are displayed on top of the tiles?

I think it's to reduce visual clutter, eg, everything happening at the
same time when you press super. It basically works like this

Tap Super -> Launcher shown + Dash appears
Press Super (eg, ~ 1 second) -> Launcher shown
Press and hold Super -> Launcher + shortcuts shown.

>>> 3. Is there an easy way to find all keyboard combinations in the
>>> different
>>> "modes" of Unity? I mean normal desktop, lenses and super+w?
>>
>> Not at the moment. The designers are trying to figure out keyboard
>> shortcuts that
>> are intuitive for everyone so we don't have to ship big manuals with
>> what all the
>> shortcuts do for everyone. If you can think of better ones, please suggest
>> them
>> by all means :)
>>

> If no good overviews exists, then it is my intention to make one.
> I didn't join this community out of curiosity.

Feel free :)

I think someone has already made a guide for where all the keyboard
shortcuts are though ... not sure where that is.

> I have some really good ideas for keyboard bindings. What is
> the most efficient way to make them very visible to the Unity
> developers that are working on Compiz stuff?

Talk about them here :)

> Where do I find information about Compiz plugins? I only know
> a few languages, but if I can contribute with code, then that's
> certainly what I'm going to do.

Compiz is written in C++. You can find the documentation on
http://wiki.compiz.org/Development or if there's something that's not
explained there you can ask me on #compiz-dev  on freenode (I'm
smspillaz). Happy Hacking :)