Re: [Ayatana] Application Menus in Unity

"Make it configurable" is not the answer to a (poor?) design. Configurability can be a nightmare, you need to not only make sure that module A works with module B, but that module A (configured in X, Y, or Z behavior) works with module B (configured in X, Y, or Z behavior).
Even if everything were configurable, there would need to be a sensible default, and we'd be right back at this discussion anyway.