Re: [Ayatana] Application Menus in Unity

Hello guys,

The essential problem of the global menu is that its behavior is
fixed, unchangeable, locked and non-configurable.   This is the first
needed step  ,  before discussing anything about changing the default
settings.

Right now the users have only two options :  like it or dislike it.
There is no possibility to disable the autohide feature. And it's not
possible to disable the global menu  (uninstalling the package, or
editing the bashrc, are  not acceptable ways to disable).

Having such config options would greatly decrease the amount of
discussions on this topic :   it's easier to be happy with some
default settings if it's possible to tweak them ...

Just for comparision : i haven't noticed any discussions on ayatana
about changing the default applications in the launcher.  Why ?
Simply because it's possible to remove the unused icons
(ex.LibreOffice )  and add others.  So there are no people irritated
by the default selection ;  hence no vivid discussions ...

I am not sure why Unity was delivered in 11.04 without a minimal set
of config options regarding the "global menu".   So I can only guess :
 it is intentional_by_design.  This is worrying if true ...

--
Adrian M