Re: [Ayatana] make adding ppas easier

Hi,

On 4 September 2011 17:57, zekopeko <zekopeko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would really like it if people would stop using "freedom of choice"
> as a club to bash any design decision that has to be made. It is a
> balancing act instead. Too little choice and you get GNOME 3.0, too
> much choice and you get the mess that is KDE.

dear Zekopeko, maybe we can have different points of view, but it's
not polite at all to say that someone should stop expressing his own
hopinion.

> Forcing users to make a choice for which they have insufficient
> information and/or expertise is a complete design cop-out.
>
> This whole PPA situation should be fixed by allowing STABLE FEATURE
> updates of GUI applications in stable Ubuntu releases that are

maybe we could improve the PPA structure, don't you think?
I make an example.

At the moment everyone can publish packages to Launchpad PPA and this
is good, BUT....
We should make difference from PPA to PPA. What I mean is that there
should be people who test PPAs and express a vote to promote as
"stable".

It's a similar thing there was in maemo-extras / maemo-extras-devel
repository of N900.
Developers publish a package, it stays in -devel until it has been
tested enough.

When the package is considered stable it's promoted to the
maemo-extras and end-user is quite safe to use it without the risk to
break something.

Once we have those PPAs marked correctly we can let the user to easily
install the safer one and make the procedure more complicated for
-devel one.

I think this could work.

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia Qt Ambassador