Re: [Ayatana] make adding ppas easier

I would really like it if people would stop using "freedom of choice"
as a club to bash any design decision that has to be made. It is a
balancing act instead. Too little choice and you get GNOME 3.0, too
much choice and you get the mess that is KDE.

Forcing users to make a choice for which they have insufficient
information and/or expertise is a complete design cop-out.

This whole PPA situation should be fixed by allowing STABLE FEATURE
updates of GUI applications in stable Ubuntu releases that are
reviewed by Ubuntu developers and volunteers. Basically make a Mac App
Store. Those applications should also be packaged by the developers
themselves. Statically link them if you need newer libraries for your
app.
This would also fix the LTS releases because they wouldn't get
obsolete so quickly.

Upgrading my entire system so that I can get newer
applications/features is ridiculous, as is adding 3rd party PPAs that
might upgrade packages I have no interest in upgrading and in the
process possibly breaking my entire system.