Re: energy conservation?

why not trying to calculate the velocities at the right time? I remember I was doing it and energy was conserved (without damping, either local or global). We just need to shift them by adding acc*dt/2 (btw, we need to _subtract_ this term in order to shift in the right way, as discussed with Bruno on the list). It is worth a try. However, reducing the time step should help, if we do not apply the shift.
I think most of the quantities are actually computed mid-step, but since it does not decrease with dt, is probably not an issue (yet).

Thanks for the suggestion of getting ride of plastic dissipation; it was indeed the source of error. I attach 2 figures, one with plastic dissipation, one without (frictAngle=0); in the second case, the energy is well conserved (total relative to the max is somewhere around 1e-5, which is pretty good). Bruno, any idea why the dissipation term in Law2_ScGeom_FrictPhys_CundallStrack gives erroneous (over-estimated) values?

Cheers, v.
PS nice idea to track energies in this way
I think it was you who started this energy business, and I can prove it: https://lists.launchpad.net/yade-users/msg03001.html ;-)