Re: Stiffness tensor

This is more a question for Vaclav or Jan, but here are my two cents:
There is no simple definition of stiffness in the general case. The
definition you find in periEngines is based on the implicit assumptions
that there is no strong heterogeneity of the displacement field, and
that rotations of particles are negligible, which can happen if you have
more than ~10 contacts per particle (it was the case in Vaclav's PhD).
For e.g. Cundall law or HM, it doesn't apply.

I don't know precise references but I think the main points of the
derivation are, with the assumptions mentioned above:
1- relative displacement at contact is du=epsilon*dl, with dl the
distance between centers
2- forces increments are df = dun*kn+dus*ks
3- average df's somehow to get a dsigma (they could be averaged using
Love Weber stress, but I think there is a different averaging currently)
4- derive dsigma/depsilon = stiffness

Bruno