Re: Disable ZRAM swap in 12.04?

On 05/10/2012 09:41 AM, Jasper Taylor wrote:
On 07/05/12 21:13, Gordan Bobic wrote:

How do I get the extra main memory back as regular RAM?

If you are using the frame buffer driver, you can claw back most of
those 64MB mapped for the GPU. There are also a few other tweaks you
can apply to reduce the memory pressure further. Take a look here:

http://www.altechnative.net/2012/01/04/alleviating-memory-pressure-on-toshiba-ac100/

Thanks, I followed the advice here and now have 508M main memory + 254M
ZRAM swap. My hangs still happen with ZRAM swap disabled -- I think the
problem is with mplayer on streaming audio but of course it's difficult
to get at the evidence! Looking for an alternative cmdline audio player...

I am not at all convinced your hangs are related to zram or swap. Fire up top in a terminal with 1 second refresh and watch the memory usage. If the free memory suddenly drops through the floor, then maybe memory pressure is relevant (but the root cause is still a bug in the application). Otherwise, I'd probably look at a big in the audio subsystem somewhere.

Just out of interest, you haven't tweaked the default cache size setting on mplayer, have you?

Gordan