acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: The Windows Tax

In France there is now a process to get money back if you don't use the Microsoft OS. The manufacturer have to do it. The price and the way to obtain it is very different from one to another.

For example for acer, go to their website choose France then "support" and then "Procédure de remboursement du système d'exploitation Microsoft". It said that you could obtain around 35 or 40 EUR , but it's impossible if you have run (even only one time) the system and if you have accepted the license. If you have not accept the license, you have to send back your laptop to them so they can reformat your hard drive and then they will give you back the money and the laptop.

Not very simple, isn't it...

Nick Glynn a écrit :
I've never booted the Vista partition of my 4810T since buying it and was wondering if anyone had managed to get a rebate for their useless Vista install after declining the EULA?

I've contacted Dixons (seller) who were quite rude saying it was down to the manufacturer, Acer themselves who claim it is down to the retailer and Microsoft who claim it falls to the original seller but they all pushed the buck until I got this little gem back:

"I can confirm that we do not provide an option to refuse pre-installed
software and that we are not required to do so. You are free to remove the Windows Vista operating system, but you will not be entitled to a refund. Should any hardware fault occur within the guarantee period, we reserve the right to request all original software to be reinstalled before
the diagnostics can be completed."

So yeah, anyone else have any joy? Perhaps it differs across country? I'd love to have just had the option of choosing 'Ubuntu Linux' but alas no :(