acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: The Windows Tax

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM, yza33 (free) <yza33@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> For example for acer, go to their website choose France then "support" and
> then "Procédure de remboursement du système d'exploitation Microsoft". It
> said that you could obtain around 35 or 40 € , but it's impossible if you
> have run (even only one time) the system and if you have accepted the
> license. If you have not accept the license, you have to send back your
> laptop to them so they can reformat your hard drive and then they will give
> you back the money and the laptop.
>
> Not very simple, isn't it...

It's not simple but in some situations it is still better than pay the
tax and shut up. Thank you for the tip, I shall now bookmark that page
and refer to it when purchasing my next laptop.

I live in Canada, and ordered my Timeline from a US vendor because the
config I wanted was not available here. Certainly I would have
considered ordering it from France had I known about their refund
program. (Acer's French web site indicates that you must return the
product within 30 days for the Windows refund.)

http://www.acer.fr/acer/service.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=fr&miu10einu24.current.attN2B2F2EEF=3093&sp=page15e&ctx2.c2att1=8&miu10ekcond13.attN2B2F2EEF=3093&CountryISOCtxParam=FR&ctx1g.c2att92=25&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=2754060724

Furthermore, even in less consumer-friendly jurisdictions, I think it
is worthwhile to pursue such refunds, even where the precedent has
been to deny such requests. The more calls and letters Acer gets
requesting alternatives, the sooner will will have the opportunity to
purchase a product with no OS, or a choice. I'm going to call them in
the coming week and do just that.

db