acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Fan noise

Am 12.11.2009 23:48, schrieb Burkhard Ritter:
Jimbo schrieb:
Hey Burkhard,
After reading your clarification it sounds like your fan noise is more
severe than what I'm experiencing. Mine doesn't sound like a real speed
up... it's hard to explain.
Can you exchange the machine easily under warranty? If possible, go for it!

As for BIOS, I've got 1.10, and I think I'll keep it there unless I really have a good reason to upgrade. It seems to be working fine so far. The fan is pretty constant, I haven't noticed too much difference between Fedora and
Win 7, but Winders seems to run a little quieter.

Out of curiosity what CPU did you get? I've got the Core 2 Solo, and under Windows 7 get some mouse stutters, esp. when outlook is checking mail. But with Linux, performance is really great, Fedora seems to perform better than
Ubuntu...but it's a close call.
Anyway, do you get those mouse stutters at any point? Good luck with
figuring out that fan noise, let us know.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've got the dual core version. I think I'll return the unit and exchange it for a different model. The reason why I originally chose the 3810TG is that it's dual core. I don't care about the ATI graphics card (I'd rather prefer the Intel card only) but I really wanted a laptop that's not completely underpowered by today's standards. Now I've noticed that there is a new model, the 3810tz, with a SU4100 dual core and I'd like to know how this thing compares to the SU9400 in the older 3810t models. Does anybody know? I've notices no stutters, the laptop runs pretty fast as it is; honestly, I really like it. It's just that the noise is nowhere near acceptable for me.

One last thing I might try before returning the laptop is to downgrade the Bios to 1.10. I'm a bit reluctant as, as I wrote earlier, I can't go back to 1.14 and the warranty/return policy is not clear to me in this case.

Burkhard

I wonder what the talk about fan noise is about, my 8310TG is completely silent.

Although, it's possible that the radeon makes some noise. I use the lenovo_acpi module to turn it off. If it's that, you could consider picking the 3810T (without G) which is the same laptop without the external ATI.

I expect the SU4100 a good deal slower, it has not only 100MHz less but also 1MB less cache which could make up a noticeable difference.