acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Fan noise

Thomas Martitz schrieb:
I wonder what the talk about fan noise is about, my 8310TG is completely silent.

I wish mine was.

Although, it's possible that the radeon makes some noise. I use the lenovo_acpi module to turn it off. If it's that, you could consider picking the 3810T (without G) which is the same laptop without the external ATI.

It's pretty noisy with Windows as well, it doesn't matter which graphics card. That's why I didn't try disabling the ATI card in Ubuntu.

In most shops in Germany the 3810T is not available with dual core and without the ATI card; hence, I originally chose the 3810TG.

I expect the SU4100 a good deal slower, it has not only 100MHz less but also 1MB less cache which could make up a noticeable difference.

I found some benchmarks and comparisons at http://www.notebookcheck.com/Mobile-Prozessoren-Benchmarkliste-Beta.1809.0.html (German site), though I guess it's not saying very much. Clearly and unsurprisingly the SU4100 is slower, but as to how much I have no idea. It seems it's based on an older processor technology. Read somewhere else that it doesn't support some virtualisation features.

Anyway, I'm going for the 3810tz with the SU4100 and I hope it will be quiet and fast enough.

By the way, I tried the 1.10 Bios on the 3810tg and it didn't make a difference concerning the fan noise. As far as I can tell it didn't make any difference at all, but I only tested briefly.

Burkhard