acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Enabling hidden BIOS features through EFI

At least for the Sony Vaio Z models, the VT features were disabled to
"avoid exposing the systems to malicious code", according to Sony's
engineers and QA staff... see below. I don't know how much of that has
happened in the Windows world, but I've never heard of anything like
that in Linux. So it could be that the companies are being overzealous
with security with the majority of their user base being Windows, not
Linux. Maybe, I don't know.

http://www.virtualization.info/2009/08/sony-explains-why-it-disabled-intel-vt.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contrary to perceived opinion, we have received very little if any
requests to enable VT technology up until very recently.

    In addition, our engineers and QA people were very concerned that
enabling VT would expose our systems to malicious code that could go
very deep in the Operating System structure of the PC and completely
disable the latter.

    For these two reasons we have decided, until recently, not to enable VT.

    However, with the advent of XP Virtualization, there is impetus
for us to relook at the situation and I can share with you that we
will enable VT on select models.

    Though, I fear to say that the Z series will not be part of our
VT-enabling effort.

    Indeed, we will focus on more recent models.