acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Enabling hidden BIOS features through EFI

FTC, Federal Trade Commission

Feds - short for federal government

They are the regulatory arm of the US government that looks into these things and tries to get companies to change their practices. Recently, they along with the FCC (Federal Communication Commission) has been looking into quite a few issues and causing some positive changes. If they get enough letters about this issue (and we should get people with Sonys in on this too), they may convince manufacturers to release a proper BIOS.

el_lunatico wrote:
This definetely is a pain in the a... - i can't even see the point in selfcastrating a product in a way a couple of manufacturers are doing it. Why do you voluntarily remove a feature of your product that the hardware is naturally capable of and risk to annoy your customers in doing so? I really do not get it - and i thought that the badly coded Bios in matters of ACPI compliance leading to not working suspend on linux platforms was bad enough.

Whatever "FTC" and "feds" might be, i will contact the customer support and hope they will fix this if not done so in 1.17 already.

Joseph Annino schrieb:
I used the hack that involved booting into an EFI tool on a USB key, which requires older bios versions to work. It was a pain to do, and it seems the method to patch newer bioses is even worse, so I don't want to touch my bios unless Acer finally smartens up and enables VT or provides an option for it in the CMOS settings.

This VT issue on a lot of laptops is really ridiculous. Maybe a bunch of us should write letters to the FTC and let the feds handle it.

el_lunatico wrote:
Hey Joseph,

i've got a 3810t too and was shocked to see that i couldn't start a VM i created on a different machine because of the lacking or better disabled (grrrrrr...Acer) VT-x feature.
Another unhappy customer...
Did you use the method described by Alexander or the one to dump, set VT to enabled and reflash bios described here <http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/06/enabling-intel-vt-on-the-aspire-8930g/>?

BTW, is it still necessary to do it that way or is this feature enabled in the latest 1.17 bios upgrade as this is necessary for future VM- WinXP emulation in Windows 7? Could somebody please comment on this?

Cheers,
Nix

Joseph Annino schrieb:
I have an Acer 3810T. My bios definitely had VT turned off, as VMware told me. I did the hack to turn it on and that has been working great.

Can someone confirm if newer bioses for this model have VT turned on? I don't want to upgrade unless I am sure I won't loose the VT functionality.

Emiel Kollof wrote:
On newer bioses VT is enabled by default. So if it's not on, update your bios.