acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Enabling hidden BIOS features through EFI

Am 22.12.2009 16:27, schrieb el_lunatico:
This definetely is a pain in the a... - i can't even see the point in selfcastrating a product in a way a couple of manufacturers are doing it. Why do you voluntarily remove a feature of your product that the hardware is naturally capable of and risk to annoy your customers in doing so? I really do not get it - and i thought that the badly coded Bios in matters of ACPI compliance leading to not working suspend on linux platforms was bad enough.

Whatever "FTC" and "feds" might be, i will contact the customer support and hope they will fix this if not done so in 1.17 already.

Joseph Annino schrieb:
I used the hack that involved booting into an EFI tool on a USB key, which requires older bios versions to work. It was a pain to do, and it seems the method to patch newer bioses is even worse, so I don't want to touch my bios unless Acer finally smartens up and enables VT or provides an option for it in the CMOS settings.

This VT issue on a lot of laptops is really ridiculous. Maybe a bunch of us should write letters to the FTC and let the feds handle it.

el_lunatico wrote:
Hey Joseph,

i've got a 3810t too and was shocked to see that i couldn't start a VM i created on a different machine because of the lacking or better disabled (grrrrrr...Acer) VT-x feature.
Another unhappy customer...
Did you use the method described by Alexander or the one to dump, set VT to enabled and reflash bios described here <http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/06/enabling-intel-vt-on-the-aspire-8930g/>?

BTW, is it still necessary to do it that way or is this feature enabled in the latest 1.17 bios upgrade as this is necessary for future VM- WinXP emulation in Windows 7? Could somebody please comment on this?

Cheers,
Nix

I can only say "works for me", so I doubt they removed it intentionally. TBH I haven't tried a VM in linux yet though.