asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

How to updatethe BIOS Was: UL30A: BIOS bug in v212

Hi Joel,

On 16.05.2010 12:38 Joel Dimbernat wrote:
> please, may I ask you how you updated the bios? I don't have windows
> anymore, so I can't use the win tool..
> And I tried using a usb key, but didn't manage to make it work...
>
> So... any suggestion? cause I'm running v206 which has a bug with bluetooth
> (ie:doesn't show)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668

describes the process quite well.

It does, however, not explain how to properly format the USB key. Here's
the process, summed up:

* Use a USB key stick which you can safely delete all data on and
connect it to your computer

* Use 'dmesg|tail' in a terminal window to find out which drive
(probably some /dev/sdX) it is - make sure you get this right or you
could delete your HDD contents

* The USB key may contain existing partitions and file systems which got
auto-mounted. Use your GUI to unmount them. Choose 'safe removal' if
available.

* In a terminal window, run 'sync; sleep 3; sync'

* In a terminal window, run this command, replacing '/dev/sdX' by the
path to the USB key - make sure you get this right or you could delete
your HDD contents:
  sudo dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdX
This will take a while to complete

* In a terminal window, run this command, replacing '/dev/sdX' by the
path to the USB key - make sure you get this right or you could delete
your HDD contents:
  sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdX

* In a terminal window, run this command, replacing '/dev/sdX' by the
path to the USB key:
  sudo umount -f /dev/sdX ; sync; sleep 3; sync

* Unplug the USB key, then reconnect it

* It should get automatically mounted. If not, run these commands,
replacing '/dev/sdX' by the path to the USB key:
  sudo mkdir /media/usbkey
  sudo mount -o user,users /dev/sdX /media/usbkey
then open a file browser and navigate to /media/usbkey

* Place the raw bios files (such as UL30Aas.211) on the mounted file system

* Unmount the USB key using your GUI or using, in a terminal window:
  sudo sync
  sudo umount -f /media/usbkey
  sudo rmdir -f /media/usbkey
  sudo sync

* Reboot your computer, enter BIOS setup utility, load setup defaults
and save + exit

* Enter the EZ Flash BIOS utility

* Check the detected drives. One of them should contain your firmware.

* Follow the instructions on screen to upgrade the BIOS firmware.

* After rebooting your computer, enter BIOS setup utility, load setup
defaults, save, exit and reboot

* After rebooting your computer, enter BIOS setup utility, customize
settings to your needs, save + exit

That's it.

Moritz