asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: Power Usage

Il giorno sab, 16/10/2010 alle 15.40 -0400, Heliel Morales ha scritto:

> Are you running 10.10? Just to be sure before we start. I don't think
> there should be a big difference but some guys in the Ubuntuforums
> were having issues after the upgrade.
>
> Also, how do you control the lcd brightness?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.

Yes, but I'm running Ubuntu, not Kubuntu.. I don't think this could be a
problem.

Ok, let's start.

I have attached my init script display-settings [see notes at the end of
this mail] (goes to /etc/init.d, activate with
sudo update-rc.d display-settings defaults) that enables the mesa
drivers and turns the nvidia card off on boot, and if the acpi setting
is changed, instead enables nvidia drivers and turns mesa off. This
allows me to reboot and switch to nvidia if I want, and then reboot,
change bios settings and switch to intel. May need to kill X once on the
first boot to the intel card (sudo restart kdm should work). Nvidia
drivers has to be installed.

If you use the script you also need to:
sudo dpkg-divert --add /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
--rename /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.intel

and create symlinks in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions like so:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
-> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.intel
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.nvidia
-> /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg/libglx.so

Next paste xorg.conf.intel and xorg.conf.nvidia in /etc/X11/.
Here are mine attached.

End of first step :)

Now, the acpi_call fails to work when pc wakes-up from hybernate or
suspensed, to solve this:
sudo gedit /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/100DisplaySettings
paste:

#!/bin/sh
 /etc/init.d/display-settings reload
save file, close it and give it execution right:
sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/100DisplaySettings

With this, the script display-settings will be reloaded every time you wake-up you pc from hybernation/suspension
(both works for me on intel card)

last but not leas, screen brightness:
follow this wiki

NOTES
backup all original files (this will save you from errors)

In display-settings script, lines 16 and 19 you have to paste your acpi_call directory.
This is expected to be ~/acpi_call/ (you should have it in your home).
I renamed, in my home, acpi_call in .acpi_call in order to hide it.

Paste in line 16 and 19 acpi_call location (/home/heliel/acpi_call/acpi_call.ko  or, if hid /home/heliel/.acpi_call/acpi_call.ko)

You will see in
lspci | grep VGA
both cards when using Intel, this is normal.

Hope this help :)

MR

Section "Device"
    BusID          "PCI:0:2:0"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "intel"
    Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Intel Screen"
    Device         "Device0"
EndSection

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 256.44  (buildd@louvi)  Sat Jul 31 22:20:16 UTC 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen         "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "AUO"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 75.0
    VertRefresh     60.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce G210M"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "TwinView" "1"
# Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1366+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection