asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: Asus ul30 vt running ubuntu 10.10 meerkat

Hi guys.

I've actually solved my problem. Here's the story (if you're not interested
skip to points the end)

I used to load on startup a kernel module to kill the nvidia card, when I
was running 10.04, and that was fine.

When I upgraded to meerkat I discovered that there was a conflict between
the nouveau driver, which was now setup by default for the first time, and
the module to kill the nvidia card. If I stopped the nvidia card with the
nouveau module loaded everything hanged.

So I decided, and this is what you get when amateurs start playing with the
system, to blacklist the nouveau module to stop it from loading at startup.
At the same time I loaded the module to kill the nvidia card on startup as
well.

I started getting all sorts of problems, including random hangs on startup
and problems with sound and video that went skippy after about a minute of
play.

To make a long story short, I learned two things:

1 - Do not blacklist the nouveau module. Disable nouveau using
nouveau.modeset=0 as a kernel parameter. The module seems to be doing
something even though it's disabled, or at least it does something after
being disabled, that is essential.

2 - Stop loading the module to kill nvidia on startup. For some reason that
stopped working in meerkat. However, if you take the time to so it after
startup everything is fine. Doesn't bother me, it takes a second. Even using
a script doesn't work, I think the conflict may be with the X server, so
everything has to be finished when you kill the nvidia card.

I'm really happy to have fixed this because with windows 7 being an
excellent OS, I was almost going back after 5 years of linux. Linux is still
much faster and cooler though, so I'm happy that I stayed.

cheers,

Dinis