asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: battery voltage

A lithium ion battery is rated at 3.7V per cell.  However, all batteries
start above their rated voltage on a full charge, and end up below their
rated voltage when they are depleted.  For lithium ion, the operable range
is roughly 3.2V-4.2V.  So a lithium ion battery pack rated at 14.8V is
actually 4 lithium ion cells in series (3.7x4=14.8).  However, the operable
range of this pack is roughly 3.2-4.2 x 4 = 12.8-16.8V.  This is why you
see the higher than rated voltage, at least at full charge.