banking-addons-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: banking-addons general directions

Hi Stefan,

I try to give you what I know about here:

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Bidoul, Stéphane <stephane.bidoul@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm getting more and more interested in the banking addons and, more
> important, we will hopefully soon have customers with similar requirements
> and therefore the possibility to contribute some features or enhancements.

=> Good :)

> So my first question is: is there any particular reason that payment and
> bank statements are tied together? Would it be a good idea to somehow split
>  the account_banking module in two parts: one for payment and one for bank
> statements?

=> That was part of the reason we made a new version of banking addons,
trying to split up as much as possible the features into various modules.
We receive some helps last month from Savoir Faire Linux that contributes
to make it even more modular.

> My second question is related to bank statements. We are considering
> implementing Belgium CODA bank statement support in banking-addons to
> benefit from advanced reconciliation features for e-commerce (at this
> stage, both banking-addons-70 and bank-statement-reconcile-70 are
> apparently incompatible with the official l10n_be_coda).
>
> To implement such a CODA parser, I have difficulties to chose between the
> banking-addons approach and the bank-statement-reconcile way. I understand
> both approaches are incompatible? Is that correct? I also understand there
> are also longer terms goals of merging them. Are there already any concrete
> plan in this regard?

=> I think a parser can be easily implemented in both project. We both have
an abstract class that help deal with files and importations
=> Currently they are not compatible
=> No plan to merge them yet, but this is the goal we follow by putting
them here both

> Finally, I saw in OpenDays slides that OpenERP SA has plans to improve
> banking support in v8. Is there any relationship with the banking-addons
> efforts, and does one influence the other?

=> I discussed with Quentin (the guy that will implement that) and give him
our branches to see if they may reuse something. Well, with OpenERP you
never know.. But I tried to at least convince him to take our importation
base module (we're in the process of breaking the dependencies) in the
core. That way, OpenERP win time as it is done, and we may hopefully have a
set of module to extend the base.

> Overall, I'm trying to better understand the landscape and go in the right
> direction when we (hopefully soon) have the opportunity to contribute.

=> Both project
 * Use profile on importation of bank statement that configure in a way the
entries generated at the bank statement confirmation.
 * Handle commission by line and/or by importation (global line)

=> Well the biggest differences I see here are:
 * The way we handle the reconciliation :
       - banking-addons uses voucher per lines, and this process is
strongly linked to invoices workflows. Can be a performance killer on big
volume
       - bank-statement-reconcile doesn't use voucher and work on moves
only. Rules by profile are setup to reconcile most things automatically
(99% once well configured). You can run a reconciliation job by profile and
see what has been done by the system easily to eventually correct it.
Handle thousands of lines at once.
 * The reconciliation process:
      - banking-addons will make the reconciliation while being in the bank
statement
      - bank-statement-reconcile will separate 3 phases: 1. the importation
(only import value, without any completion or computation). 2. The
completion (that uses rules by profile to complete all possible infos for
each line like: figure out the partner from a number, try to get the proper
counter-part account,...) 3. The reconciliation (also based on rules by
profile to reconcile move) => note that this part handle properly the
multi-payment terms problematics.
 * The payment part:
       - The banking-addons handle (and is linked to) the payment part
       - The bank-statement-reconcile doesn't. Means you can rely on the
standard one, use the other community one ore your own (may be one included
in a localization, as it is for Switzerland).

Correct me if I miss something.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Joël