banking-addons-drivers team mailing list archive

Banking addons guidelines for 8.0 - a proposal

Hi,

Following the thread about the future of banking addons [1] and the
comparison between the various frameworks [2], I would like to summarize
the conclusions and lay out a proposal.

Three distinct and independent areas clearly emerge in banking addons:

   1. payment orders (credit transfer and direct debit)
   2. import of bank statements
   3. bank statement completion (enrichment) and reconciliation

Regarding payments, a clear majority voted to abandon OCA/account-payment
in favor of the payment part of OCA/banking, and adding the eventual
missing features there.

Regarding the import of bank statements, there was no clear vote, although
there is a tendency to deprecate the bank statement part of OCA/banking.

My understanding and opinion from [2] is that the most promising and
future-proof track consists in using and extending in 8.0 a backport of the
Odoo master branch (account_bank_statement_import).

If the community agrees on these conclusions, I would suggest the following
as guidelines for managing the ports to 8.0:

   - deprecate OCA/account-payment (ie no 8.0 branch)
   - OCA/banking becomes the repository for payment interfaces
      - possibly renamed to OCA/bank-payment
      - only the payment part gets ported to the 8.0 branch (in progress
      [3] [4])
   - OCA/bank-statement-reconcile becomes the repository for statement
   completion and reconciliation
      - the statement import features in it are not ported to the 8.0 branch
   - a new repository named OCA/bank-statement-import is created
      - it hosts a backport of odoo master
      branch account_bank_statement_import
      - as well as parsers and additional import features modules inspired
      by OCA/banking and OCA/bank-statement-reconcile 7.0

Looking forward to reading your feedback,

-sbi

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/banking-addons-drivers/msg00096.html
[2]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R77W6xFFexM247mUen3N9uFacX-OZYtGcyP6HGgRjjU/edit?usp=sharing