bazel-team team mailing list archive

Re: reply: Bazel Removal from Debian

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 03:15:18PM +0000, sun min wrote:
> > If the test passes regularly, and just sometimes fails under the same
> > conditions, I would consider disabling it in autopkgtest rather than have it not
> > make it into bookworm.  The perfect is the enemy of the good.
>
> The autopkgtest always fails .
>
> The maintainer added a “-XX:+UseParallelGC” for garbge collectors param(target jdk16+) which can boost build performance for about 30% compared with the default GC param “-XX:+UseG1GC”[1].
>
> In fact all the CI stages can be passed if supplied with the default GC param.
>
> I suspect If the “+UseParallelGC” should be used with some other jvm params together.But I have no idea.

Hi sun min,

It sounds like premature optimization to configure or tune the GC
algorithm at all.  The JVM (any version) will be able to configure
itself, even if perhaps not optimally, without setting either
"+UseParallelGC" or "+UseG1GC".  Is that all we need to change?

We should be able to build and ship the package with conservative
(compatible) defaults and document tuning for better performance in a
wiki or similar.

Cheers,
tony