budgie-remix-bug-busters team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1902317] Re: Non-XKB keyboard layouts cannot be chosen or selected via the keyboard applet
This bug was fixed in the package budgie-desktop - 10.5.1-6ubuntu0.2
budgie-desktop (10.5.1-6ubuntu0.2) focal; urgency=medium
Allow non-xkb layouts to appear and chosen in the keyboard applet
show-non-xkb-layouts.patch (LP: #1902317)
Display spotify cover-art
fix-spotify-album-art.patch (LP: #1895720)
Fix broken chrome-based notifications
chromium-browser-notifications.patch (LP: #1895697)
-- David Mohammed <fossfreedom@xxxxxxxxxx> Fri, 30 Oct 2020 22:14:52
** Changed in: budgie-desktop (Ubuntu Focal)
Status: Fix Committed => Fix Released
You received this bug notification because you are a member of ubuntu
budgie bug busters, which is subscribed to budgie-desktop in Ubuntu.
Non-XKB keyboard layouts cannot be chosen or selected via the keyboard
Status in budgie-desktop package in Ubuntu:
Status in budgie-desktop source package in Focal:
* Budgie Desktop primarily uses IBus to choose and select various keyboard layouts.
* The inbuilt method to select layouts is using the keyboard layout applet.
* non-xkb layouts such as Japanese are not shown in the applet - and hence cannot be chosen.
* currently non-xkb users need to use fcitx via the appindicator applet to choose keyboard layouts.
* I fixed this upstream and is currently working well in groovy/hirsute.
* This SRU backports that patch to resolve this issue.
* Add a non-xkb keyboard layout via Language & Region - e.g. japanese kanji
* Add the keyboard-layout applet to the panel via budgie-desktop-settings
* Click the applet - note that the non-xkb layout is not visible in the popup and thus cannot be chosen.
* Run software-properties-gtk from a terminal and Enable the proposed repository via the developer tab.
* Install the packages: sudo apt install budgie-desktop budgie-core libbudgietheme0 libbudgie-private0 libbudgie-plugin0 gir1.2-budgie-1.0 libraven0
* Logout and login.
* Click the keyboard applet and choose the non-xkb layout.
* Open gedit and type non-xkb characters.
* Click the keyboard applet and choose UK or US layout
* type in the text editor UK/US characters
* The worst case scenario is that enabling something that currently doesnt work would introduce instability/crashes into the budgie panel whenever the optional keyboard layout applet is manually added to the panel.
* This is significantly mitigated by the fact it has been used actively by upstream for 4 months now, other rolling release distros, debian testing and now groovy/hirsute. No adverse reports have been made on either launchpad nor the upstream git hub tracker
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
InstallationDate: Installed on 2020-04-08 (205 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Budgie 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Beta amd64 (20200407)
Package: budgie-desktop 10.5.1-6ubuntu0.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-52.57-generic 5.4.65
Tags: focal third-party-packages
Uname: Linux 5.4.0-52-generic x86_64
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sbuild sudo
To manage notifications about this bug go to: