bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: bug 699788

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qmidiarp/+bug/699788

On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 15:47 -0600, Ronny Cardona wrote:
> Sorry if I'm getting off-topic.
>
> Will we have the oportunity to work with some developer(s) to lean about
> bugs that need packaging?

As for Kurt's question, It is better to just let the MOTU/Core/Archive
folks, who are going to be involved in uploading the package, deal with
the *status* .
Before uploading they might have questions as to why the changes were
dropped/added or how the package update affects other depends or if the
update is really essential, is the update stable, etc..
So, the best person who can assess the those kinds of packaging bugs are
folks who have previously worked on uploading the package.

So, we wont be discussing a lot about packaging or packaging bugs here..

As for your question, seems you are mixing up a few things:

- Developer is the upstream person(or works with upstream) who writes
the code.
- Packager is one who packages the code for installation.
- Triager is one who sorts bug reports according to their importance and
makes it easier for the developer or packager to spot important bugs
quicker.

There are a lot of developers who do not know about Debian packaging at
all.

One might know all the three roles but not necessarily. mostly people
focus on one task they like which sometimes helps them judge the other
two roles.

If one wants to get involved in development , working directly with
upstreams is the best way.

If one wants to get involved in packaging, working with Ubuntu-MOTU team
or with the Debian folks is the best way.

For Bug Triaging, here is good.. ;-)

Ronny, were you confused about what bug triaging was? Or Were you
mainly looking for packaging help and the wiki misled you?

(just trying to make sure whether the wiki was clear or not; and if the
wiki could be made clearer with regard to that. we have had issues where
people dint find the wiki clear and once we know the misleading part, we
fix the wiki) :-)