bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: bug 699788

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 01:05:32PM +0530, Vish wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 05:11 -0400, kurt belgrave wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qmidiarp/+bug/699788
> >  Can this bug be set to triaged since it only asking for a micro update of the package?
> > Cheers
> >

> On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 15:47 -0600, Ronny Cardona wrote:
> > Sorry if I'm getting off-topic.
> >
> > Will we have the oportunity to work with some developer(s) to lean about
> > bugs that need packaging?
> >

> As for Kurt's question, It is better to just let the MOTU/Core/Archive
> folks, who are going to be involved in uploading the package, deal with
> the *status* .
> Before uploading they might have questions as to why the changes were
> dropped/added or how the package update affects other depends or if the
> update is really essential, is the update stable, etc..
> So, the best person who can assess the those kinds of packaging bugs are
> folks who have previously worked on uploading the package.
>
> So, we wont be discussing a lot about packaging or packaging bugs here..
>

> As for your question, seems you are mixing up a few things:
>
> - Developer is the upstream person(or works with upstream) who writes
> the code.
> - Packager is one who packages the code for installation.
> - Triager is one who sorts bug reports according to their importance and
> makes it easier for the developer or packager to spot important bugs
> quicker.
>
> There are a lot of developers who do not know about Debian packaging at
> all.
>
> One might know all the three roles but not necessarily. mostly people
> focus on one task they like which sometimes helps them judge the other
> two roles.

I really prefer to think of all three of these as different roles which
can be done by the same or different people.  Keep in mind that Ubuntu
is the upstream for some software like Update Manager and Ubiquity to
name only a couple.  So people working on those can perform the role of
both developer and packager.

Additionally, the "packager" role sometimes adds patches to a package to
fix a particularly important bug for a release of Ubuntu.  I'd say this
work falls into the developer role.

Finally, everybody performs the bug triage role when performing actions
that add value to a bug report whether it be clarifying the bug title or
confirming that is in fact a problem on another Ubuntu system.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master