bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Working as a team on Nautilis

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 08:12:11AM -0700, Joseph Areeda wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 07:11 AM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> >For all of you who need the structure, start by working on Nautilus
> >bugs [1]. Most of you will be using this, since it is the default Ubuntu
> >file manager. Please only work those bugs in "New" status.
> >
> >]1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus
> >
> OK excellent training exercise.
>
> My first question is what is nautilis?  A bit of googling in the
> forums (And Charlie's email) suggested opening my home folder and
> Help/About lead me to the Nautilis User Guide
> <http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/stable/nautilus.html> lo
> and behold I've been using it since day 1 but never connected the
> package name.  I still don't have a good feel for what's in the
> package and what's not.  But more time in the User's Guide should
> fix that.
>
> That is one of my issues that I'm looking for a solution.  Most
> package names are meaningless to me and my research on what they are
> is hoping for something informative in the first few pages of
> google.
>
> Charlie's link produce 1099 hits sorted by importance.  I don't see
> how you get that list by searching so I can limit it to new bugs or
> sort by status.  what does the +source in the link mean?  Am I
> missing a way to resort the results of that search?
>
> An advanced search for only new bugs containing Nautilus an sorted
> by newest first (link for that search <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=nautilus&orderby=-datecreated&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&assignee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.bug_supervisor=&field.bug_commenter=&field.subscriber=&field.component-empty-marker=1&field.tag=&field.tags_combinator=ANY&field.status_upstream-empty-marker=1&field.has_cve.used=&field.omit_dupes.used=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.affects_me.used=&field.has_no_package.used=&field.has_patch.used=&field.has_branches.used=&field.has_branches=on&field.has_no_branches.used=&field.has_no_branches=on&field.has_blueprints.used=&field.has_blueprints=on&field.has_no_blueprints.used=&field.has_no_blueprints=on>)
> produces 1751 hits with a bunch in what seems like other packages.

Here you've search all Ubuntu bug reports for the keyword nautilus which
will return some bugs that aren't really about nautilus but just contain
the word nautilus in the description.

> I like newest first order because it seems to have more "easy" ones
> up top.  More of the older ones have been read and responded to by
> more experienced bug squad members.
>
> I don't see how bugs like this one
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/743979> are related to a
> file manager but if you read the report Nautilus is clearly
> identified.  Is that my poor understanding of what Nautilus contains
> or a misclassified bug?  I would tend to assign that one to the
> Network Manager.
>
> As you can probably tell.  I'm looking for techniques to mine the
> launchpad database for bugs I can help with.  How do you approach
> something with as big a bug list as Nautilus?

We know that nautilus is a package in Ubuntu so if we go to this page:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu

and put nautilus in the text box and click 'Find a Package' we'll get
some information about the package and then can go to its package page
reports by clicking on nautilus.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus

Here we can click on 310 new bugs (I see 310 because I can see some
private bugs you may not) to see the new ones.  This is likely a good
starting place but it might be better to not look at apport-crash bug
reports as those can be more complicated.  You could click 'advanced
search' on the bugs listing page to add and remove search constraints.

There are a couple of shortcut ways to find bugs about a package:

1) remember the url structures that Launchpad uses:

http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus

ubuntu in that url is the project / distribution
nautilus is the source package in the distribution

2) Install firefox-launchpad-plugin.  This is adds quick search for bug
numbers, package bug lists and people in Launchpad among other things.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master