bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Looking for a task?

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 07:40:08PM +0200, njin wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 05/05/2011 alle 09.42 -0700, Brian Murray ha scritto:
> > I've recently found a fair number of package installation bug reports,
> > these are tagged apport-package, that contain dpkg IO errors and
> > messages in dmesg indicating that there are hardware problems.  I'm
> > looking for some help working on these as the bug reports require some
> > manual inspection as its possible the hardware error didn't happen at
> > exactly the same time as the package installation failure.  I'd be happy
> > to provide a list of bug reports, more detailed instructions on what to
> > look for and a response to use if any one is interested in working on
> > this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Brian Murray
> > Ubuntu Bug Master
> Hello
> I  was looking for it

Cool, attached you'll find a list of bug numbers that are tagged
apport-package and contain the string 'media error' in Dmesg.txt or
CurrentDmesg.txt.  An example of the type of bug you should find in the
list is http://launchpad.net/bugs/773721.  Although DpkgTerminalLog
appears in the bug description.

We can see that the package failed to install due to a 'short read on
buffer copy' and looking at the end of Dmesg.txt we can see hardware
errors trying to read from sda.  Again this likely means their hardware
is faulty.

I commented on the bug, tagged it hardware-error (so we can get a count
of these types of bugs) and marked it Invalid.  However, based off
discussions in the Bug Squad meeting today we should use Incomplete
instead.

There have been some false positives in the list,
http://launchpad.net/bugs/742207, where the hardware error appears but
isn't related to the package installation failure.  So please be
cautious!

I've also added a hardware-error response to the ubuntu-qa-tools bzr
branch that you could use.  If you'd prefer a Greasemonkey response I
could set one of those up too.

Thanks for helping out!
--
Brian Murray