c4c-dev team mailing list archive

Re: "Byte-Sized" Actions

HI Eric,

Wow, these are *huge* files, but it's good to have this breakdown, as
each is potentially a package that would need creating specifically for
C4C or at least, some level of customization.

Here's the problem (at least one, but its a big one). When you check out
a branch, using BZR, Git etc, you get the full history each time. If a
package is updated say two or three time over the course of the release
cycle, you would have 2 to 3 time that much disk space usage and Upload
/ Download time while branching, merging, and pushing back to the branch.

For christian-john-123.tar.gz (600+ MB), that would equate to =>2.4GB of
storage if the updates were stored in whole at each revision. And that
is for just the one package.

I did not realize the content of these packages was so large. Clearly we
need a better solution for dealing with these large files, as the
problem of download / upload time for the branch will grow exponentially
using a version control system.

best regards,

Greg.