canonical-isd-hackers team mailing list archive

Re: [Launchpad-dev] How do we fix the Launchpad's login experience?

On 09/27/2010 08:20 AM, Anthony Lenton wrote:
> On 09/24/2010 09:55 PM, William Grant wrote:

>>> I do not think Lp accepted unknown RPs versions 1-3 of SSO hosted by Lp
>>> required us to maintain a table or recognised RPs. I know the table was
>>> in the version that ISD took, and assume something like it is in place
>>> in Ubuntu SSO.
>>
>> That table allows authorised RPs to receive additional data (email
>> addresses and teams, for example). login.launchpad.net still permits any
>> RP to retrieve the identity URL.
>
> Right, login.ubuntu.com has an additional restriction at the moment by
> which it doesn't even provide identity URLs to unknown RPs.  The plan
> was to lift this restriction eventually iirc, but even before then there
> shouldn't be a problem with adding a recognised RP entry for LP we want
> to start using login.ubuntu.com.
>
> We can allow LP to use login.ubuntu.com and remove login.launchpad.net
> at short notice if needed, though there are other communication issues
> we'd need to look at for people that aren't used to entering their LP
> creds into login.ubuntu.com (for non-ubuntu LP users as you mention
> William).  Still it might be an option even before LP becomes a full
> OpenID RP.

FWIW, as one of the folks who uses launchpad ALOT for non-Ubuntu
projects (Drizzle, OpenStack) - logging in to launchpad.net using
login.ubuntu.com seems less than obvious... although I appreciate the
intent and benefit. It's less personally bothering to me, since I also
do Ubuntu things- but I imagine for some of my devs it might be a little
extra weird.

On the other hand, logging in to launchpad using OpenID and having that
for everyone in Ubuntu be from login.ubuntu.com seems fine - especially
if I could use my perfectly valid normal OpenID provider.

Just my €0.02