checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Re: On why we should not detect thunderbolt

TB is just a layer, a medium, just like USB. So unless we have
dedicated hardware/software/both to analyse TB throughout we have to
resolve to testing devices that use connections built on top of TB.
Saying that TB *is* a DP is a oversimplification. It’s true, that 80%
of TB usage is displays, next 10% is storage, but  the rest might use
it in some other manner. Best example are monitors [1] with usb that
use the same cable, is it daisy chained? IDK. And there’s a bunch of
products that enable users to connect other equipment to their
TB-enabled PCs, like powerful GPUs. [2] [3]

TL:DR
Saying thunderbolt works require more than display + storage testing
run through that port. IMHO.

[1] http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lcd-computer-monitors/lg-27MB85Z-B
[2] https://secure1.sonnettech.com/product_info.php?products_id=486
[3] http://www.netstor.com.tw/_03/03_02.php?MTEy