checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

RFC: naming rules for jobs and test plans

Hey.

I'd like to propose that we establish a naming rule for the English names and descriptions for units such as jobs and test plans.

Those units are often shown in as a list of items. This happens both in the graphical and console versions of or tools. Currently there is no consistency in how all of that works and looks like.

I'd like to fix that and establish clear rules (with some validation help from plainbox) on how to phrase such names and do a sweep of all the providers to change them to comply with those rules.

There are a few things I'm sure about and those are not controversial:

- Capitalize the first letter of job summary and test plan name.
- Don't end the job summary and test plan name with a dot.
- The name has to be short enough to fit in various form factors without clipping the essential part. I'm just unsure about the actual limit. "This is a test about ..." is a poor thing to see.

More things are murky though:
- What should be the correct form for "tests related to thunderbolt" (thunderbolt is just an example)?

  "Thunderbolt Tests"
  "Test Thunderbolt"
  "Check if thunderbolt works"
  "Thunderbolt Certification Tests"
  "Verify that thunderbolt works"

- Should we use the word "test" in every job?
- Should we use active or passive mode (perhaps this is phrased incorrectly). In other words, should it say "this is a test and it is related to thunderbolt" or should it say "go and check thunderbolt". For me this is massively different in the polish translation as I see it either as an "active" thing that can be done or as an "inactive" thing that just has a label.
- What is the correct capitalization of acronyms like USB, usb, BD, BT, etc.
- Should we put all the (r), (tm) (c) markers for registered, trademark and copyright respectively.

In coming up with an answer consider that we also want to reuse the same string in all kinds of reports and across the GUI.

I personally think that we should aim for "passive" mode and perhaps avoid the use of words like "test", "check" or "verify" as they are clear from context.

Thanks
ZK

Follow ups