checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Re: RFC: naming rules for jobs and test plans

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki
<zygmunt.krynicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey.
>
> I'd like to propose that we establish a naming rule for the English names
> and descriptions for units such as jobs and test plans.
>
> Those units are often shown in as a list of items. This happens both in the
> graphical and console versions of or tools. Currently there is no
> consistency in how all of that works and looks like.
>
> I'd like to fix that and establish clear rules (with some validation help
> from plainbox) on how to phrase such names and do a sweep of all the
> providers to change them to comply with those rules.
>
> There are a few things I'm sure about and those are not controversial:
>
> - Capitalize the first letter of job summary and test plan name.
> - Don't end the job summary and test plan name with a dot.
> - The name has to be short enough to fit in various form factors without
> clipping the essential part. I'm just unsure about the actual limit. "This
> is a test about ..." is a poor thing to see.

Good idea...

> More things are murky though:
> - What should be the correct form for "tests related to thunderbolt"
> (thunderbolt is just an example)?
>
>   "Thunderbolt Tests"

I like this one ^^

>   "Test Thunderbolt"
>   "Check if thunderbolt works"
>   "Thunderbolt Certification Tests"
>   "Verify that thunderbolt works"
>
> - Should we use the word "test" in every job?

They *are* tests so it may be good to use it. The alternative is to
just say "Thunderbolt" which can be confusing. At least in short
descriptions I think it's not absurd to say "blah tests".

> - Should we use active or passive mode (perhaps this is phrased
> incorrectly). In other words, should it say "this is a test and it is
> related to thunderbolt" or should it say "go and check thunderbolt". For me
> this is massively different in the polish translation as I see it either as
> an "active" thing that can be done or as an "inactive" thing that just has a
> label.

You're talking about individual tests?

- Thunderbolt tests
    - Thunderbolt device detection
    - Thunderbolt data transfer speed

In the tests themselves I'm obviating use of "test". This looks pretty
passive to me (just a label). The alternative would be:

- Thunderbolt tests
    - Check that Thunderbolt detects devices
    - Measure Thunderbolt data transfer speed

These are more active and include a verb.

Is this what you mean? Now, I like the first form better due to its
conciseness, I guess the issue is whether we expect the user to do
something. As you say, the first form perhaps suggests the user can
just sit back and do nothing, while the second one somewhat implies
need for action. I guess a sample of whether people think one is
clearer than the other would give us more material for decision.

> - What is the correct capitalization of acronyms like USB, usb, BD, BT, etc.

USB is always capitalized like this. Ditto for ACPI, HDMI and so on,
as they are true acronyms. BT is not a true acronym, it's more of an
abbreviation, so it's a bit murky. BD is interesting, as if you
acronimyze it more strictly, it should be BRD (Blue-Ray Disc), but
nobody will understand that. I'd be for capitalizing them always.

> - Should we put all the (r), (tm) (c) markers for registered, trademark and
> copyright respectively.

I really dislike that (who cares?). But the answer is that "legal
cares". I'd ask them. If we don't ask them, I'd say don't use them,
since *we* don't care, and if they do, they'll say so and then we'll
have to change it.

> In coming up with an answer consider that we also want to reuse the same
> string in all kinds of reports and across the GUI.
>
> I personally think that we should aim for "passive" mode and perhaps avoid
> the use of words like "test", "check" or "verify" as they are clear from
> context.

Indeed. But I'd also like to run this by our users. Jeff's team comes
to mind, as do the folks in Taipei. This will be interesting because
while I'd prefer to obviate use of "test" like you said above, we
don't want that to result in unclearness in some language (e.g. I'm
unfamiliar with chinese to tell you if that would make things
ambiguous or harder to understand).