checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Trouble with i18n

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki
<zygmunt.krynicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey.
>
> Today I've noticed that i18n is completely broken for units that have
> multi-line fields. I've reported a detailed bug about that [1].
>
> I think it's unfortunate that we don't care about i18n too much and ignore
> untranslated or half-translated applications. Is there something we can do
> to improve our process to ensure that our tools can handle multiple
> languages and that our users use them in their preferred language?

Sorry :( I've always used computers in english only (not sure why,
maybe historical reasons, when I got started nothing was available in
spanish so I just got used to english).

Is there any way we could run at least the per-merge-request tests
with a different locale? for instance, we could (as part of one of the
provisioning scripts) install the languages the teams are fluent in
(polish, chinese, spanish, french; we have at least 2 people fluent in
each of those, and we could add a few more languages with at least one
speaker) and run the test suite for each. We can make this conditional
to the langpack being installed so things don't fail horribly for
people who are testing locally and don't want 10 foreign languages
intstalled. This would be done once the container is provisioned; say,
in each provider's requirements/container-tests-blah script, you'd:

./manage.py validate
for blah in list_of_locales; do
 LANG=blah LANGUAGE=blah ./manage.py validate
done

This would add seconds to the test run and still provide good
reporting I think. Maybe something more elaborate than manage.py
validate is needed, but the base idea would be the same.

Doing this for languages we can understand would make it easier to
spot problems; e.g. I could probably tell you if a sentence is
translated to japanese or arabic based on the squigglies, but if the
text's meaning makes no sense, I couldn't really tell that.

- Daniel