Re: Cloud-init not installing rpms (CentOS 6.5)

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014, justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 2014-03-28 23:44, Scott Moser wrote:
> <snip>
> > Right.  You have to specify the whole list in cloud-config mode.
> > Note, you don't have to "inject" that file, you could just have well have
> > put that cloud_config_modules portion inside cloud-config where you were
> > putting your 'runcmd'.
>
> Thanks Scott.  Added it to the #cloud-config userdata directly,
> and it's working fine.  All good there. :)
>

> > Also, if for some things, you could use the json patch mode
> > ("#cloud-config-jsonp").  Its even worse documented than other parts of
> > cloud-init.   But essentially, if you have multi-part input, you can
> > modify the configuration via json-patch notation
> > (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6902).
>
> Not sure what multi-part input would be used for.
> Guessing it's due to my headspace atm being "Rackspace
> config drive userdata approach". :)

While the input to "user-data" (via config-drive) is but a single entity,
you can put in "multi part" input to cloud-init.  This multi-part input
can be in the form of a cloud-config-archive format [1] or mime-multipart
[2].

Then, you can have one part that is 'cloud-config' type, and one part that
is '#cloud-config-jsonp' type.  (or you could but '#!' scripts and
cloud-config together).

Scott

--
[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~cloud-init-dev/cloud-init/trunk/view/head:/doc/examples/cloud-config-archive-launch-index.txt